1.26.2012

The Many Faces of Lee Miller

Do you ever stumble across an iconic image and determine
to know more about the person behind the photograph ?
These investigations often put me in quite the
Sherlock position .. . . thought I must admit, 
the internet makes it relatively  simple.
This classic image of Lee Miller by Man Ray
was just such an adventure.

Upon inquiry I learned she was not only 
a stunning model but also a portrait photographer,
war correspondent, surrealist muse and artist.
As WWII ended, she was one of the first photographers 
to arrive at Hitler's secret apartments. She promptly 
dropped her muddy clothes and jumped into his bathtub !
Gotta love a girl who walks into Hitler's  bathroom
and recognizes a unique photo op.
Another iconic image . . .
Go  HERE to see the resulting photo and read the story.


To learn more about this fascinating woman
go HERE for an interview with her son.

__________________________________________
Collage series by studio Judith

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
My Castle in Spain said...

Stunning Lee Miller ! the only portrait i knew of her was the bathtub one...angelic beauty with a zest for life and beautifully interpreted by you !
xo
Lala

Chrisy said...

What an interesting life this lady led...and yes so beautiful...wish you lived closer so i could pick your brains about using digital effects! My love to you...

Ingrid Mida said...

Ah Lee Miller was a woman of many talents. Beautiful, intelligent and accomplished but hardly known.

ceecee said...

I have her bio on my nighttable...a quarter through it. An intriguing read.
Once again...your images delight.
Happy Valentine's Day, J.
Catherine

Anonymous said...

I AM COMPLETLY FASCINATED BY WHAT I AM SEEING !!!!!!! I JUST LOVE SO MUCH !!!!!! MORE THAN ANYTHING I EVER SAW.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!
STUDIO JUDITH, I WILL COME TO LOOK MANY TIMES !!!!!
MARIA